Sunday 17 April 2011

Exercise 16: The relationship between points

This exercise required me to take images without preconceptions quite naturally, of two normally occurring situations in which there are two points well separated.

I found it extremely difficult to find naturally occurring images of two points!

Photograph 1:
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, 80.0mm, f/22.0, 1/60, ISO1250
I believe this photograph of my wife and daughter shows how the relationship of the two main points dominates the composition.  The eye is drawn from my daughter at the foreground to my wife in the background.  Not only is there the physical line of the road but also the implied line of my daughter running from my wife which creates movement even though there is relatively little movement in the photograph.  I think my daughter attracts more attention being in the foreground than my wife in the background.

Photograph 2:
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, 95.0mm, f/4.0, 1/100, ISO100
I took this photo really quickly (and shot it wide open which has resulted in a slightly less sharp image).  I like the relationship between the two points and think there are both implied lines horizontally between the two cows and vertically toward the viewer.  I think the cow on the left is the stronger point!  This might be because he is slightly larger and toward the edge of frame, or because the second cow is positioned centrally and is therefore more static?

The second part of this exercise was to photograph someone's eyes.  This was to show that two points can attract attention equally and when this happens there is unresolved tension within the image.  This can often damage a composition, but can also be useful in activating an image.

Photograph 3:

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, 105.0mm, f/22.0, 0.4s, ISO3200
I really do think there is unresolved tension within this photograph.  My eye is drawn between both points (eyes) and can't settle on one point.  Even though the right eye is slightly more open this doesn't seem to resolve the tension.

This exercise has taught me how important it is to place two objects in the frame so as not to cause tension and how two points must have a balanced relationship with implied line and direction.